The story behind Box Runner is a simple one; my kid was playing a rather violent game on the iPad one day and I asked him if there wasn’t anything better for him to play; of course he answered no. So I decided to make a modernized arcade style game without violence. I am neither for or against violent games mind you, and I enjoy my fair share of games that contain violence.
So one Friday evening I decided I would challenge myself; could I:
- Make a game in a single weekend?
- Publish it by Monday morning? (In 60 hours.)
- And keep it Non-Negative?
Personally, the hardest part was thinking up game rules that were non-negative. How to play a game without violence or other negativity in the game.
I was stranded in a hotel for the weekend, so I had the time.
By Monday morning I had a working game. It was rough and not very polished but it performed well and all the main features worked. I had just enough time left over to make a quick game trailer.
I forced myself to publish it as it was, all the while resisting the urge to “add one more thing”. I promised myself that I would polish it up a bit more and release that as version 1.1. I did manage to add all of the features I really wanted in version 1.1 later on.
The idea of the game is simple, how many points can you get before time runs out? Mr. Doo-Dad is your trusty robot here to help! Run Mr. Doo-Dad into as many boxes as you can to collect their contents before time runs out. Don't bother stopping to collect the loot, Mr. Doo-Dad will pull it to himself magnetically.
- Coins are worth 10 points
- Gems are worth 50 points
- Time Extensions are worth 15 seconds
- W, A, S, D Will controll Mr. Doo-Dad's movement.
- Spacebar will make Mr. Doo-Dad jump.
- Holding Left Mouse button will move the camera in 'Free-Look' mode.
- Holding Right Mouse button will move the camera and Mr. Doo-Dad the direction the camera is looking.
If you need some help, have some feedback, or want to report a bug, head over to the Service Desk and log a request.
About this project
This project is targeted toward;
- macOS 10.13 and up
- Windows (64bit) Platforms
Open issues in Jira